Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Productive Use of My Summer

Summer is an interesting time for people involved in academia. When I was growing up, I thought teachers had summer all to themselves. Now that I am a teacher, I see it a little differently. As an adjunct professor, I need to teach and find ways to make money throughout the summer. But that doesn't mean I don't have free time, and as the semester roles to an end I need to figure out how best to use that free time. Now, I could sit in front of my TV and play hour upon hour of Modern Warfare 2, but thanks to Todd and Rae I've got an awesome challenge to confront. 16 Books, 16 Weeks. That's right, a book a week. Now that may seem daunting, but it's a challenge I can handle. So, here's my list of summer reading.

1. "The Year of the Flood" (Margaret Atwood)
2. "The Supergirls" (Mike Madrid)
3. "Twilight of the Superheroes" (Deborah Eisenberg... See More
4. "I Will Fear No Evil" (Robert Heinlein)
5. "Vacation" (Deb Olin Unferth)
6. "2666" (Roberto Bolano)
7. "Ficciones" (Jorge Luis Borges)
8. "Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History" (Laurel Thatcher Ulrich)
9. "Do Anything" (Warren Ellis)
10. "Hand to Mouth" (Paul Auster)
11. "Manhood For Amateurs" (Michael Chabon)
12. "McSweeney's #34" (McSweeney's)
13. "Suttree" (Cormac McCarthy)
14. "The Writer's Notebook: Craft Essays from Tin House" (Tin House)
15. "Gentlemen of the Road" (Michael Chabon)
16. "Gun With Occasional Music" (Johnathan Lethem)

I'll be reading other books as well this summer. The next collected volumes of Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead, Ex Machina, Fables, and Scott Pilgrim will be coming out this summer, but those being graphic novels, I'll probably rip through those in about 24 hours. But hey, if you are looking for a fun challenge this summer, I suggest you get on board. Find those 16 books you haven't been able to get to because of classes, work, or whatever. Get out in the sun, enjoy those books, and feel free to share your lists of 16.

3 comments:

Cait said...

I really like this idea! I think I will try to do the same thing. I don't read much anymore and it makes me sad.

Mike said...

Thanks for including SUPERGIRLS on your list. I have a supplement to the book on my website that shows images of the characters and events that I discuss in the book.

Cheers-
Mike Madrid

http://www.heaven4heroes.com

Joe said...

Kitti - you totally should. Especially since you can read what you want, not just what has been assigned for a class.

Mike - I've really been looking forward to your book. I teach an English class that focuses on graphic novels and comics and a number of my students have run across your book in their research. I'm hoping to send some directly to it for future classes.