Monday, March 15, 2010

For the Love of Money

"Your love gives me such a thrill/But your love won't pay my bills/I want money" - The Flying Lizards

Well, to be completely accurate, the song Money (That's What I Want) was originally performed by Barrett Strong and later a version by The Beatles and a few other people. But I like the version from the 90s film Empire Records. However, it doesn't really matter, I just felt this particular lyric summed up a bit of what's on my mind right now, at least part of what's on my mind.

In case those reading this haven't heard, I had a pretty major interview this morning. I spent about two hours being interviewed by the producers of Doctor Who. Needless to say, my mind is spinning from this interview, but as my brain works through, figures, and processes this current life situation, some interesting things have bubbled to the surface. One of those things is money.

With most interviews and job situations, pay scale does come up. I'll be honest, I stopped breathing for a moment when they told me how much I would get paid if I happened to get this job. Then I did the conversion from Pounds to Dollars and peed a little. It's a sizable income and after I composed myself and changed my underwear, I started to think about those numbers. That money would be nice. New things to buy, luxuries to enjoy, expensive suits, TVs, sound systems...and then it hit me; who gives a shit? I have the chance to work on one of my favorite shows ever. I have the potential of being part of something I love passionately and sharing it with millions. Money is irrelevant at this point. Hey, bonus, they will give me a pay check. I can pay rent and buy food, good deal. And maybe it's wrong to think that, but I just can't glom onto the whole money thing. Let me explain.

When I'm looking at all the potential future careers I have - professor, script editor, writer - my annual income never factors in. I just don't think about it. I would rather be happy than have lots of money. It's just the way I am. Now, I realize that this idea is counter to what many people today think. It's counter to what many people I know think and there is probably a spot in hell waiting for me for defying the almighty dollar. Sure I want to get paid for what I do. I need to pay rent, buy food, etc. But I'm also realistic about the kind of money I'm going to pull in. In fact, if we throw the current script editor position out, I'm a college professor, and I know how much that pays.

I am quite frequently reminded how much people in my sphere make either by conversations I have with parents and siblings or by the possessions they have. They have their cars, boats, home theaters, cabins, and I can't force myself to care. When I worked at the SUU library, I could look at the public record sheet that showed how much each professor at SUU made. I looked at how much the English teachers made. Of course I did. And with all the budget cuts that higher education faces, I know they probably haven't changed a lot in the four years since I last looked. I'm ready for my $60,000 a year future.

Now ladies, if that figure is below your price point, I've got a middle finger for you to inspect. Do price points actually exist? Of course they do. All those vapid sorority girl stereotypes must come from somewhere. But this brings me back to the song quote I started out with. With the world in financial turmoil, the gap between rich and poor getting bigger, I'm glad I have surrounded myself with friends that love people because of who they are, not how much they make. When I eventually get married, I know that the woman I'm with will love me for being Joe and not my monthly pay check. So, at the end of the day, Professor pay or Doctor Who pay, I'm still a win win situation.

2 comments:

r said...

Hmm, well I wouldn't say I have a price point. I will say I am confident in my own value and the worth of what I bring to the table. I expect anyone I'm with to respect himself enough to be motivated to be employed, to advance and progress in whatever career and to decide exactly what quantitates advance and career, and I expect the same of myself. So, what exactly is a price point in those terms?

I am very happy for you, Joe. It's a grown up thing--not a pirate thing--to acknowledge that it's ok to seek financial security. It is not ok to think that your inherent value comes from the the money you make and the things you can purchase with the money you make (no matter how great or small the purchase or price; pride exists in both extremes). That said, I am deeply hopeful for you.

I love you, dear.

Joe said...

And I guess that's kind of my point with all of this. Why do people have to put a dollar value on who they are with? I mean, if there is a woman that is amazing, intelligent, beautiful, motivated and fun, that could be easily monetized into hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, as a person only making sixty thousand a year at the peak of my career (Maybe more, but that's about where Kay was at retirement) does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to date or be with that incredible woman? Am I only allowed to marry women that feel they are worth a professors salary? Absolutely not in my book. I have a hell of a lot more to offer the world than a pay check.

Now, one of those things that I do offer is that I work my ass off in my career and am constantly progressing at it. But do we really want to monetize those things? Isn't that just comodifying people instead of enjoying them for being the wonderful people they are? Just a thought.